Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review: Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)


  Alice in wonderland... nah, just Alice kicking ass!!!  I don't know how if I can be impartial with this movie because ever since I saw Chaplin (1992) I've thought that Milla Jovovich is one of the most beautiful women on Earth, and like my beautiful wife, age and childbearing have not done much to ruin her appeal.

Now, I did not watch this movie in 3D, and here's why: I think 3D is highly overrated, perhaps it is because I am too critical, too observing, I am never content just pointing my gaze at the center of the screen, I scan and like to see the details all around in the scene, but when I do that with a 3D film the whole effect is useless, in synthesis if you say "let's go watch a 3D movie" all I hear is "let's go watch a BLURRY movie"

Moving on to the movie at hand, Resident Evil: Afterlife is the fourth installment of this great series based on the popular video game of the same name, the movie escapes the typical Zombie genre a little and becomes more Sci-fi, though the "T-Virus" does create Zombies it is also capable of being altered to create different creatures, some can even be controlled by the infamous Umbrella Corporation, the company that started the original outbreak on purpose, so that it's leaders could inherit the world.

Afterlife shows Alice, an ex Umbrella employee and the only person known to have bonded perfectly with the T virus (she has super strength and reflexes but still retains her humanity) looking for two things: one is finding any survivors in the elusive Arcadia (supposedly a place with no infection) and taking down what's left of the underground empire.

The whole movie is filled with greatly crafted and visually impressive scenes, the Zombies have this crazy thing were the mouth splits into 4 tendrils, it makes them look a lot like the vampires in the last Blade movie, which is kind of lame...  but then there's the big guy...  a super tall super strong Zombie, looking like an executioner and carrying a big @#% hammer/axe combo, and then there's the main baddie, a higher-up in the Umbrella corporate ladder that also mutated into superness by the T-Virus.

As always with this series there is some story behind the madness, so all in all this is a pretty well rounded piece of film, one last thing that I want to note, both Milla and Ali Larter have very organic performances, I mean when their shooting a gun, or doing something physically incredible they don't look like Ben Stiller in Zoolander doing his "Magnum" or "Blue Steel" face like most action heroes now a days.

If you haven't seen the rest I recommend you watch them before this one, but it's not completely necessary.

I hope you've enjoyed this review, and until next time remember...   Zombies were people too!!!

To see a list of all the films I've reviewed click here

No comments:

Post a Comment